A&B Edition: Adulting

 This week the girls take aim at Adulting... 



In the latest instalment of the FNWF A&B edition, Bianca, Amy, and very special guest Danni discuss all the pros and cons that come with being an adult. 

But first, what were we drinking?

Amy was drinking Theory of evolution


Available from Liquorland

Danni was drinking Billson’s Turkish Delight Vodka


Available from Billson's

Bianca was drinking Brian Fletcher Merlot


Available from Naked wines

Amy opened the topic tonight with; Ever heard the phrase “I don’t want to adult anymore”? Well, there is a very good reason for that. As children, we dream of a day when we would become adults and be able to do whatever we want. However, when we reach adulthood we realise that it's not everything we dreamed of.

Along with being an adult is the responsibility of caring for yourself. This means keeping a roof over your head, paying bills for electricity, water etc and the expectation that you are going to contribute meaningfully to society. 

Why on earth would anyone want to do that? 

Well, when I was deep in thought about this topic it came to me that the key concept is autonomy. Being an adult means that no one can tell you what to do. You are the master of your own destiny. As a child nearly everything we do is in some way controlled by someone else. In particular, adults. Adults tell children what to do and when to do it for most of their existence. 

When we then become adults we get to decide for ourselves what we do. The question is should we have this power as some of us make better life decisions than others. I recall a time in my mid-20s when it suddenly dawned on me that I could eat a bag of twisties for breakfast and no one was going to tell me I couldn’t. But should I do that? No, for obvious reasons. 

I’m going to start us off tonight and discuss working. So in most countries around the world, there are laws preventing children under a certain age from getting a job and being paid for the work they do. 

In Australia, you must be 15 to get a job unless you are working in the family business or in the entertainment industry, child actor etc. 

With working comes money. With money comes buying power. 

However, there is a catch. If you are working and earning money you are often expected to pay for your bills and groceries depending on your circumstances. With the cost of living being quite high in Australia it is taking a long time for children to graduate to adulthood and leave the nest. Parents of adult children living at home still often subsidise their children's cost of living.

However, for most, it's only a matter of time before you are out on your own and expected to make your own way in life. This means you must get a job and be paid money in order to pay your expenses for things you need to sustain your life. So we have gone from you can get a job to you must get a job in most cases. 

For me, working is a privilege. I have the ability to work and earn a fairly good income so I can afford things for myself and my child. Bianca and I have discussed many times if we would work if we didn’t need to. I always said I would because I enjoy it. However, if I was ever in a situation where I didn’t have to I can’t guarantee I wouldn’t just quit. On one hand, I will have heaps of free time to do things around my house or volunteer at an organisation. On the other hand, I think I’d be bored out of my mind. We are so conditioned for working for most of our adult life I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t work. 

So working as a function of adulting is both a pro and a con. Adults can work, but in order to survive, they probably have to work so it's not really a choice anymore. 

Danni discussed the wonderful TikTok trend; “Don’t get me wrong being an adult and living on my own is pretty great but the only problem is I now have access to adult money. Which means I can buy whatever I want and I end up buying shit I don’t need and having zero regrets about it”

That TikTok sound was made for this episode and for Danni's life choices. Having adult money is a huge pro but also a con. 

Check out Danni on Twitch!!


Bianca went on to bring the episode to a close with the following sentiment; Fucks… my supply is dwindling… I think it's my age but anyway, I see this as a Pro.

These fucks I didnt just wake up one day and think of I have 3 fucks for today make them last. No this was a process over many years.

The way I see it is you start off from a very young age with a bucket of fucks. This big ass bucket and you cram it full of all the fucks you can find.

The problem then is, where are you going to keep these fucks?

Cant keep them in the bucket so you start cramming fucks into every pocket and your pencil case your back pack and you're walking around with all these fucks and if you drop one you pick it up dust it off coz its your fuck and thats ok.

The closer to 40 I get I’m like I cant be fucked carrying around all these fucks. My handbag is getting smaller. My clothes no longer have pockets (although very exciting when they do). So I look at my pile and i’m like welllll some of these fucks gotta go and I do I let some fucks off into the wilderness. 

Which leaves me with about 3 fucks on any given day.. And what I set them as is completely justified. Because they are my fucks and that is a Pro of adulting. 

Notable Mentions:

  • random medical issue of the day - con
  • Where did this bruise come from?
  • Milk
  • Soy
  • Gluten
  • Allergies 

"A nap… mother fucking nap can fuck you up as an adult" - Bianca



HELP KEEP US HYDRATED
AKA Karma Points




Round 43 - Interview with Jeff Deskovic